Monday, May 23, 2011

a gift.

I like to read. The thought of curling up next to a fire with a really good book and a comfy blanket will never stop sounding appealing. Lately, I like to read even more because I like to write...in my journal, on post it notes, on my blog, anywhere really. Words are the forefront of everything it seems. To produce a movie, there has to be a script. To sing a song, there has to be words. And to call someone, you have to speak.
Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if we talked like we wrote. It seems to me that we would be in less trouble, we wouldn't talk back to people as much, and we would not say things we did not mean. The thing about it though, is that when you talk to someone, face to face, it is much harder than writing. And much more rewarding. Telling someone something is more difficult than writing them a note. Because it takes courage. It takes their reaction into consideration because you watch it play out, right then and there. Which is what makes telling them all the more special. That is why it is so important that we tell the people we love how much they mean to us and how glad we are that they are in our life. That they have stuck around despite the fact that now they really know us. They do not just see us at our best, but they see us at our worst, and they do not run off. So the least we can do is say thank you.

The thing about writing though, is that it inspires us. It is what inspires us to share and speak and show wisdom. Words, written down, are timeless. People have been writing for ages, and here we are today, and people are still writing. That makes it a pretty big deal I guess. The Bible is the most beautifully written book. One that I never grow tired of, and one that I always come back to, thinking, why did I ever live a day without the truth. When I read it, I discover, I learn, I repent, and I love. It is these words that have caused people to do great things, say great things, and share with the world the love of a Savior that matters most. The book that is a daily reminder of who God is and how much he loves us, just in case we ever forget. And it is these words that connect us back to the believers that lived before us, because we are all reading the same stories.

What a gift God has given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment