Tuesday, December 18, 2012

bookworm

When I was younger, I never really enjoyed reading. I read for school, and I read for those library contests in the summer, but mostly just because I got a trophy. Growing up, the rest of my family loved to read. Austin went through books at lightning speed, and my parents always read before bed. We would go on family vacations and at night, after we had gone to dinner, everyone would read, and I wouldn’t know what to do with myself, but I knew I didn’t want to read. At some point in high school, I found a love for reading on my own, which is really the only way it can be found I think. To me, reading is one of those things you cannot force on anyone. It is always their choice, and growing up and being told in school what you need to read turns a lot of people off. But now, I cannot imagine life without books. They bring me so much joy and have so much wisdom to give. They remind me of who I am or really who I can be. This winter break (don’t have a real winter break but humor me here), I cannot wait to sit by the fire and get lost in a good book. Here’s what’s on my list to read or re-read this Christmas season: Help Thanks Wow by Anne Lamott, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, and Still by Lauren F Winner. And I. can’t. wait.


“For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet or excite you. Books help us understand who we are and how we are to behave. They show us what community and friendship mean; they show us how to live and die.” – Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life

1 comment:

  1. umm I may or may not want a tree just like that. also, love your reading list! can't wait to have a few days off to tackle mine! i just finished re-reading gatsby and it was marvelous; you will love it.

    ReplyDelete